Bronze Solas Travel Tales Award
Rhonda is an award-winning travel writer. On March 22, 2023 Rhonda received a Bronze award in the Solas Travel Tales best of travel writing awards under the category, “Elder Travel,” with her story “From the Back of the Van.” It is not currently published but maybe in future books from Travel Tales.
Rhonda’s Nonfiction & Fiction in Seven Anthologies
- Real Women Write: Seeing through their Eyes, “Letter to our Insolent Server,” p. 35 and “Paying to Pee,” p. 86 by Story Circle Network, 2022
- Decades in Writing, Anthology #14; “Tuck Tail or Sail,” p. 99, Saturday Writers, 2021.
- Inside and Out: Women’s Truths, Women’s Stories, “From Ugly Duckling to Howling Wolf,” by Story Circle Network, 2017 (page 98)
- Love is in the Air, “End of Island Life,” by Marfa House, 2017 (page 20)
- God Still Meets Needs, “Quiet Time,” edited by Mark Littleton, 2013
- Cuivre River Anthology VI, 10th Anniversary, Stories, Essays, Poetry, and Photography from Saturday Writers and Friends, 2012
- 1st place for “At Home in Chester” in Saturday Writers’ Food & Travel short story contest (Sept. 29, 2012)
- 3rd place for “Midnight Jaunt” in Saturday Writers’ Food & Travel short story contest (Sept. 29, 2012)
- True Words from Real Women, “From Ugly Duckling to Howling Wolf,” An Anthology of Life Writing by the Women of Story Circle Network, 2012
Online Publication Locations
- Flash Fiction Magazine, “The City that Stole His Daughter”
- WOW! Women on Writing, “Finger Gone Rogue, Writing Gone Mute”
- Publications on Sheila Bender’s WritingItReal website for writers
- Body Language, my adventure experiencing a traditional Turkish Bath in Turkey, won third place in a 2010 writing competition. This link introduces my first draft, then Sheila’s recommendations for improvement, and my revised and final submitted narrative. Sheila published all three elements as a learning example for other writers.
- Navigating the Online Publishing and Promotion World (Fall 2013), a narrative about how I self-published my memoir and promoted it early after publication in response to questions from Sheila Bender, the author of Writing It Real website.
- From Idea to Publication (Fall 2013), an interview with Sheila who asks questions and I explain how I developed my memoir from the conception of an idea to the actual publication of the book, At Home in the World.
- A Coming-of-Age Vignette, Sage Advice, and the Writing Exercise They Inspired. This is Sheila’s way of instructing by example by using a scene from At Home in the World: Travel Stories of Growing Up and Growing Away.
Thanks to Sheila Bender, who provides special links to my work on her website, WritingItReal, which are reserved for members only.